Take a look at the following three articles to better understand custom photography:
What is custom photography?
Why choose custom photography?
Why does custom photography cost more?
I often wonder if others know what exactly goes into a custom portrait session. There is so much time and love that goes into every session I schedule. Time is often the most forgotten and underestimated part of custom photography. The click of the shutter is only one very small part of a session. There are hours spent behind the scenes for each and every session, things like:
- phone calls
- scouting locations for outdoor sessions
- prepping equipment, charging batteries, packing supplies
- set up and break down for studio sessions
- prop selection and concept creations
- laundry (ever been at a newborn session? They are messy!)
- travel times, vehicle maintenance, loading and unloading equipment/studio supplies
- editing, editing and more editing
- designing custom products like birth announcements and storyboards
- gallery presentation, uploading proofs to website
- prepping order and ordering, sometimes from several different vendors depending on product
- packaging (oooh I love presenting my clients with a pretty package!)
Also, childcare and housekeeping. I love that I own my own business. But just like any working parent, I must find childcare as needed. This assures you will have my undivided attention and receive the custom experience I want to give you. I also love that I have an in-home studio for newborns and babies. It's quaint, small and personal. Perfect for what I do. But it's also located in my home, which means lots of housekeeping comes into play before every studio session. Believe me, this is no easy feat. If you already have kids you know how quickly your clean house can be turned upside down in minutes by your children. LOL.
And of course lets not forget about:
- education, webinars, seminars
- purchasing professional equipment
- licenses and permits
And the list goes on and on. As you can see there is more than meets the eye in creating custom art just for you and your family. Photography is art, and art is an investment. Not only does art appreciate in value as time goes on, it becomes priceless to you and your family. So always take the time to research, prepare and save for your investment. Choosing the right photographer and planning ahead will result in beautiful, family heirlooms that will be treasured and passed down for generations to come.
Jody Gall Photography would love to be a part of your art investment. Click the Contact tab above to schedule a session or if you have any questions at all.